Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Strawberry Tartlets

I'm not one to step away from a challenge, & these tartlets are an example of that.

My zucchini bread was omitted from the SOS challenge because of the non-vegan ingredients & my first baking attempt with the newly purchased stevia turned out to be a bit of a disaster. So, rather than be dismayed, I decided that I would have a go at making vegan-friendly tartlets. I'd been thinking of making a pie base, as I want to make a lemon meringue pie soon. But that recipe calls for a lot of eggs & butter, not exactly vegan friendly. So, I thought I'd try my hand at making a pie crust that would be admissible for the competition, & try my hand at something that contained no animals ingredients.

I'm happy with the outcome; not too sweet, relying more on the natural sweetness of the fruit, & the pastry coming up a little bit crumbly, but oh so yummy. I used a muffin tin to create the tartlet shapes. These are a good snack-size portion, loaded with healthy fats & protein. I didn't add any stevia or sweetener of any kind to the strawberries. I find that stewing them brings out the natural sweetness in the fruit.

These would be great with some soy cream or nut creams that I've seen a few food blogs indulge in. I hope you enjoy!

I've submitted this to this month's SOS challenge & Slightly Indulgent Tuesday


Strawberry Tartlets (vegan-friendly, sugar-free, gluten-free, wheat-free)
Ingredients:
Tartlets:
100g (2dl) coconut flour
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons ground hazelnuts
1g powdered white stevia
2 teaspoons psyllium husk
60mls water
30mls soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt
pinch nutmeg

Filling:
2 cups strawberries, chopped

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan. In a bowl, sift flour, shredded coconut, ground hazelnuts, psyllium husk, salt, stevia & nutmeg, & stir together with a spoon.
3. Using a beater, mix in the melted coconut oil, soy milk, water & vanilla until mixed well.
4. Grease muffin tin with some coconut oil, & pat the dough into the shapes. Bake for 20 mins.
5. While this is baking, place the chopped strawberries into a saucepan with a splash of water, & simmer on medium heat until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat & cool.
6. When the tartlet bases are ready, remove from the oven & allow to cool before adding the filling. Place in fridge to set.

Yields 8-10 tartlets

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you persisted!! These tarts look fantatsic. Such a gorgeous red of those berries. Thanks so much for submitting this to the SOS Challenge this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look absolutely lovely. I love your choice of ingredients, thanks so much for submitting to this month's challenge! I love your blog background by the way - the fruit is darling.

    ReplyDelete